Mar 20, 2012

Happy birthday to us

Matthew and I had our birthdays this month. For his birthday dinner, he wanted Red Lobster. I told him because it was expensive, I was only giving him a tube of chap-stick for his present, and then grinned and gave him a little wink. I made him cupcakes baked in ice cream cones, and then we went to dinner. It was nice, a sweet old lady came up to me to tell me how great my kids behaved at dinner, which is wonderful to hear.

That night, on the way home my mom and dad called to wish him a happy birthday and I overhear him saying to my mom "I only got chap-stick for my birthday, but it is okay grandma, because I really need it, my lips are so dry". My mom said her goodbyes before I could get back on the phone and clear up the misunderstanding.

Matthew loved his cupcakes, had fun with his presents, and got some back from my mom, sister and I. The next day we went to a larger city to go to Toys R Us so he could spend his birthday money. On the way to TRU, he acted like he had enough money to buy the whole store. As soon as he got there, he realized how little he could buy. He quickly decided he did not want the $50 game he had wanted moments before. Something clicked on and he started prioritizing what he wanted. Within a short amount of time he had the top three items he wanted on his list, and had $20 left to spend. He decided he wanted an aluminum water bottle with his name on it, picked that out and was down to $10. Instead of getting the $10 he had just looked at, he decided his sister also needed a water bottle and found one with "Sophia" written on it.

I had some things I needed to do at the mall. I wanted to look at the iPad covers, I was planning on getting accessories since my case just broke, but Bobby said he did NOT want me to use my money on a new case, since that is a "need" not a want. He wanted me to go get myself something I wanted. I honestly could not think of anything I wanted until I went into Kay's to get my rings cleaned and inspected since I was there. While searching for my receipts I realized they were in my big purse, the one I hate because it feels like a diaper bag, and because it is messenger style all my stuff falls out and the flap gets in the way and I just don't like it. But my little purse is too small, and is starting to get holes in it. I complained to Austin that I needed a new purse as we watched by a coach store he suggested we go there. I rolled my eyes and said "no, too expensive" and he said "well, what about Macy's then?" Seriously, what a freaking awesome 15 yr old kid.

So I walk in and it is wall to wall purses and my brain shut. down. It was like over-stimulation station. I walked around a bit more and decided there was NO way I was going to get out of there with something I liked. As I was about to leave I spotted a purse counter and realized THAT is what I needed. I asked her if she could help me pick something and told her what I wanted. Durable, medium sized, cross body design, lots of storage, easy access, and that I was brand retarded. She quickly took me to the fossil purses, and I was in love with the canvas purses, we looked at a couple and then the clouds parted, and the angels sang, and I found MY purse.
Just then... I. was. a. girl. I squealed. Austin rolled his eyes. I had moved in before we even made it to the car. When I slid my iPad in, and it fit, I did a happy dance. He rolled his eyes again. My husband was very happy I got something I liked. My 13 year old said "really mom? ANOTHER purse?" and I glared at him. The one purse I hated from day one, and I don't think I paid more than $12 for either one. My small one lasted for a good 3 years, yet he is acting like I am some purse hoarder. Boy needs to learn when to shut up if he ever plans to have a successful marriage one day.

For my actual birthday, my sweet neighbors took me out for lunch and then we hung out and just chatted for a while. I stayed so long it was too late to start dinner by the time I got home. While I was out, not only did my teens keep the littles well cared for, but they rallied the kids into helping them clean and vacuum my entire house! BEST GIFT EVER!!! If you thought I was excited about the purse, you should have seen me then. Great friends. Great lunch. Great drinks. Great conversation. Great kids. Everything a mom could ever want.

No comments: