Dec 20, 2011

Nothing like an episode of Hoarders to inspire me to declutter

Bobby came home from Afghanistan for Christmas and New Years on Thursday, so to welcome him back I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner, for the second time. While the turkey was thawing, I needed to do a massive de-clutter on my kitchen in order to maximize my working space for a large meal, for a large family, in a small space. A show that always gets me inspired to clean is Hoarders, on A&E. I really admire the people behind the scenes though. The people who have to clean up the messiest of the messes with shovels, or lift heavy furniture onto trucks. The men and women from 1-800-GOT-JUNK.

When we moved from Colorado to Washington, we contacted them prior to moving for a quote, and I was very impressed with their professionalism and rates, but in the end we just did not have time to bring in a team to help us (5 days to make a 1,500 mile move with a family of 6 plus 5 pets will do that to you). However, now I know what we did wrong, and you bet next time we move we will be making a ton of changes. What I really appreciate about 1-800-GOT-JUNK is they don't just take your unwanted appliances, garbage, and electronic equipment to the landfill, but instead donate anything usable to local charities, and their list of products they recycle is quite impressive. That was one of the reasons why we wanted to work with them instead of just renting a dumpster like a lot of people do before they move.

In the end, we ended up making about 10 trips to Goodwill, 4 trips to the dump, and had a bunch more picked up by appliance salvage companies. It was far from ideal, but it worked with our schedule. After my large cleaning spree yesterday, I may just be making that phone call again soon.

No comments: