Apr 14, 2011

Pandora Radio - Slightly Paranormal

This one is going to be link heavy, watch out. So today I chose to make a station around a song I have had stuck in my head for weeks: M.I.A. - Paper Planes, and it seems almost none of the songs it played had to do with the original artist, or song, but instead were plucked straight from my memories or heart. The first song it played was a favorite from my teen years I have been hearing a lot on XM Radio, Lithium. The song is White Town - Your Woman, a few other songs played, but when Bob Marley - Three Little Birds came on, I *knew* that Pandora had a direct connection to my soul. See, two and a half years ago, when Bobby was in Iraq and we were waiting to hear where we were moving to, and it seemed like no one knew anything, and the news kept being delayed and canceled, I rediscovered this song and it has since been an obsession. I have a whimsical painting of three birds hanging in my hallway to remind me. I also picked my skin for Firefox to remind me, it says "Don't worry about a thing... Cause every little thing is gonna be alright...." My husband called me around this point and I got a little choked up and sentimental.

I song I have googled numerous times to find the name of played, Regina Spektor - Fidelity, but when the only lyrics you know is "and it breaks my heart" and "break my fall", you don't get very far. Same with Citizen Cope - Let The Drummer Kick, a song I thought was called "The Drama Kid" and could not understand why I could never find it via Google. Another song that I loved, and had to lyric search for a while back was Modest Mouse - Float On. Mad World - Gary Jules came on, a song that Bobby and I both love, but got a kick out of when they used it in a commercial for Gears of War 2, a game Bobby plays.

While I was ironing Bobby's shirts, and a funny thing happens to clean shirts when you apply hot steam. The scent of the person who wears them comes out and I found myself not just missing my husband today, but really missing him. I miss him every hour of every day, but thankfully I only get that hole in my heart deep loneliness every once in a while. The song that came on just then was Geto Boys - Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta, a song I have not heard since middle school, and there I was, ironing, missing my husband, kicking it Gangsta style. I got a good chuckle and it lifted my spirits. Another throw back from a little further back in '88 was Pixies - Where Is My Mind.

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights played, which I love, and put on my Facebook about 6 months back, along with the Iron & Wine- Such Great Heights version because I had never realized that The Postal Service song was the same as the Iron & Wine version.

The kids and I had a great sweaty dance to Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey (I Love You) and OutKast - Hey Ya!, two songs the kids have always loved. And several songs that Bobby used to sing by The White Stripes, OK Go, The Killers, and Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked, a song he was singing along with on the radio that I had never heard, which is unusual for us, usually I am the one to discover new artists. Of course there were a lot of other songs mixed in, these were just the main ones that really spoke to me, were songs I had been searching for in the past, or played when I needed them the most. However the Over the Rainbow song, by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo╩╗ole came on twice; this is a song I can no longer listen to because it reminds me of a schoolmate's tragic loss.

So I am not sure what all these songs and artists have in common, Pandora claims that it because I like "repetitive melodic phrasing" and "mild rhythmic syncopation", so I guess we will go with that. Whatever the reason, they complimented each other nicely, and made for a very happy day.

No comments: