Feb 27, 2011

Scrubs

A long, long, time ago, I was a CNA, or certified nursing assistant, but my license has since lapsed. I miss working from time to time, I loved getting my medical scrubs on each morning and heading to work each morning at 7. I loved being busy and feeling like I was making a difference. My own children were in school full time and I was feeling restless at home. I worked with special needs adults in a recreational day facility, and it was my job to record blood pressure, weights, administer medications, along with non-medical tasks like taking my clients into the community on day trips, or also dealing with basic needs such as feeding and toileting.

One of the downfalls of my job though, was the cost of scrubs. I got some of my uniforms at the big box chain stores, but they were itchy and very plain. I also used dedicated scrub stores, but the cost of uniforms was ridiculous. I was lucky enough that I was not limited to a specific color, and could wear any pattern I wanted, so it was possible for me to buy scrubs online at a great discount, and get soft, comfortable uniforms for a very reasonable cost. Last year when we made our cross country move, I ended up giving away a huge box (21 sets?) to a friend's sister, and it was really sad. I mean on one hand, I love being a mom, but I cannot pretend that I don't miss bringing in an income, and getting all dressed up in my nursing uniforms scrubs each and every day.

No comments: