Feb 15, 2011

Mini Vacation

I just got home from a super relaxing mini vacation. We drove to the other side of the state to see his friends, my family, a combination "Bon Voyage" and "Welcome Baby" visit. He went over before I did, spent time with friends, and then I came over with the kids. It was so nice to see my parents, my sister & brother in law, and my niece & nephew. Because Matthew was missing his valentines day party, my mom made heart shaped sugar cookies with the kids, and we all addressed valentines day cards to him and Sophie. Matthew cracked me up when he said "Wow! I didn't know Liam could write in cursive" when he read a card I addressed to him from Liam.

For the drive home we caravanned home. While hitting a Starbucks Drive-Thru I asked if I could pay for my drink, and that of the hot guy behind me and then told her he was my husband of 14 years. She said "keeping the romance alive by traveling in separate cars huh?" Yup, Mr. & Mrs. Romance! We have never bought into the VD hype, one year we just happened to stop into a new store which ended up being a gun store. I tease him the most romantic Valentines Day ever was the year he took me to the gun store.

Half way into the trip I had lost my mind with one of the little ones repetitively pushing the button on a talking fast food toy my mom gave them. It was Barney from the Simpson's movie saying either "call me" or "Homer" or "homicide" or something. While the kids were stopped for a potty break, the toy was quietly slipped into the trash, and no one has missed it. Thank goodness. I have never figured out how kids have an innate ability to gravitate towards the most annoying toys at my moms house, and then use it in the most annoying manner possible.

I was so happy to be home, in my own bed, but I loved having the long weekend with my family. I don't get over as often as I want to, so it was nice to have an excuse to make the trek.

No comments: