Nov 7, 2008

Off to see the rheummy

Saw my primary doc, she says she does not feel she can rule out (or diagnose) Lupus... she says some of the notes in her chart indicate I may have it, and my blood work does not look promising, but on the same hand I am pretty much not really showing many symptoms. We have two rheumitologists in town, one that she likes and one that she LOVES. She put in a referral to the ones she loves, but warned me I will have a 6-8 month wait to get in. She says if I start showing symptoms before that she can get me in with the other doc just until the ones she recommended can get me in.

Sophie's rash is nearly gone, and I can still see a few little red dots on her scalp, they are darker looking though, like little birth marks.

For those of you who have been telling me they don't know what Lupus is, here is a summary from The Lupus Foundation of America:

Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys and brain. Normally the body's immune system makes proteins called antibodies, to protect the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens.

In an autoimmune disorder like lupus, the immune system cannot tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissues. The immune system then makes antibodies directed against itself. These antibodies -- called "auto-antibodies" (auto means 'self') -- cause inflammation, pain and damage in various parts of the body.


And the symptoms can include any number of the below.
* Achy joints / arthralgia (95 percent)
* Fever of more than 100 degrees F / 38 degrees C (90 percent)
* Arthritis / swollen joints (90 percent)
* Prolonged or extreme fatigue (81 percent)
* Skin Rashes (74 percent)
* Anemia (71 percent)
* Kidney Involvement (50 percent)
* Pain in the chest on deep breathing / pleurisy (45 percent)
* Butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose (42 percent)
* Sun or light sensitivity / photosensitivity (30 percent)
* Hair loss (27 percent)
* Abnormal blood clotting problems (20 percent)
* Raynaud's phenomenon / fingers turning white and/or blue in the cold (17 percent)
* Seizures (15 percent)
* Mouth or nose ulcers (12 percent)


So it is pretty obvious to see why I am so scared right now and am hoping I somehow am getting a false positive on my ANA bloodtests.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Holy crap, and I was griping about my 6 week wait to get into my rheumatologist! Good luck. I'm trying a course of meds to see if that wipes out my arthritis symptoms, and if it does not, I'll have to have some more testing done to figure out what's going on.