Aug 5, 2008

Camping in Alamosa

Saturday we left to spend the weekend in Alamosa. We rented a 'Kabin' at the KOA because it was the only way to get DH to agree to it since he HATES tent camping (I don't mind, but was not looking forward to it with 4 kids, one being 2 months old, and 2 large dogs). DH had Monday off, so we spent three days, and two nights and the trip was a ton of fun.

The purpose of the trip was to go to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, talk about a BEAUTIFUL place to go, and silly me, I forgot my camera. The sand was so soft, it was like sticking your feet into silk. We set up the lawn chairs in the shade and the kids splashed around in Medano creek and had a blast building dams and sand castles.

We also stayed up late and roasted marshmallows and ate s'mores and enjoying each others company. Bobby loved that we had a charcoal grill and a campfire to cook over, he is somewhat resentful that I insisted be buy a gas grill because I wanted to be able to use it too.

On the way home, we puttered around in San Luis, the oldest town in Colorado, established in 1851 and Fort Garland, which was built in 1858 to protect settlers and abandon 30 years later. It was commanded by Kit Carson, who is the namesake to Fort Carson, Bobby's current place of employment and his last duty station while he was in the Army.

On the first night, we were sitting around the fire, looking at the stars and enjoying the silence (all 4 kids were sleeping inside) and some coyotes started to howl in the north; soon some coyotes south of us joined in. There must have been 10 coyotes howling all around us when a cow mooed and the coyotes abruptly stopped howling and did not start up again for almost a full minute. Bobby and I bust up laughing and I don't think I would have believed it had I not heard it with my own ears.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I remember the backyard camping trip in ft hood. You and I had to put up the tent because the guys couldn't figure it out. Lol

Lynne said...

You really went camping?!?!?!?! With DH???? Are you sure he didn't clone himself and send the clone???

LOL, I'm glad y'all had fun :)