Apr 26, 2008

Austin and Christopher's big give.

Austin and Christopher decided back in 2005 that they would like to start growing out their hair, like their dad had his when he was a teen. The glamor of long hair wore out last year when they started getting teased at school, but Austin said he would like to let it grow out long enough to be donated to the charity "Locks of Love"

Here is a before picture of my little boys:
IMG_3081

Christopher with his hair all up in pig-tails before the big snip:
IMG_3089

Austin, minus the long pigtails, but before the real hair cut:
IMG_3096

The three boys after their hair cuts:
IMG_3103

Monday after school we will hit the post office to mail their hair, the boys are loving their short new cuts and look forward to seeing the reaction they receive on Monday at school. I am so proud of my sons, they have put so much into this and taken a lot of crap because of it, but they feel it is worth it and have no regrets.

PS. To see the full photostream, make sure to visit the entire set on Flickr.

14 comments:

Talisman said...

That's really awesome of them to donate their hair to Locks of Love. I hope they tell everyone at school what they did! They deserve a pat on the back for being that young and that dedicated! Good job boys!

SumnerRain said...

I hope so too. I really hope this is an experience they will look back upon as adults and still get warm fuzzies about.

Cathy said...

This is fantastic! I have often wished I had the dedication to grow my hair out to donate. I would never have thought of boys doing this and I think it is something they should be very proud of following through! Good job guys!

SumnerRain said...

I know, my hair is long enough to donate it, but there was just no way I could do it right now. I had planned on it, but my friend asked me about having to style my hair with a new baby and there was just no way I could do it. I hope to go back in 6 months to a year and cut it, and then color and highlight it too.

Amy McCoy said...

What handsome boys you have, both before and after! I commend them both for their gift of love to someone who cannot grow their own. I pray that their kindness is returned to them 100 fold :o)

SumnerRain said...

Thank you very much, I think they are pretty cute myself, but I may be a bit biased. :)

Jess said...

What a wonderful thing to do for others. Way to go boys.

And by the way they are gorgeous boys both before and after.

SumnerRain said...

Thank you Jess, I think they are keepers :)

Katie said...

It's not many kids their age who can do something so selfless for others in need. They should be very proud of themselves!

Elisa said...

I think that is a wonderful thing they did! You must be so proud!

I've always wanted to donate hair like that but I can't seem to let it grow long enough to chop and still have enough hair to balance out my hips. Ha!

Allison said...

OMG -- I can tell I haven't seen da boyz in a long, long time. When I saw the post above about mailing off their hair, I thought, "What hair?"

Very cool activity to do together. And I swear, Austin (with the hair) looked like he should be in a boy band. A semi-gnarly boy band, of course.

SumnerRain said...

Thank you Katie, I hope this is the beginning of a trend of selfless behavior! :)

SumnerRain said...

I know what you mean, I want to donate my hair, but I am so afraid that short hair will make my round face look even rounder.

SumnerRain said...

I really miss Austin's long hair, I liked long hair on Christopher too, but he did not take as good of care of his.

I still am taking double takes of my little baldies.