Sep 28, 2007

Ultrasound #1 scheduled

For those of you who are familiar with blood serum hCG quantitative tests (sometimes called Beta's) you may find this little lesson boring, so you may want to skip ahead. hCG or human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced by an embryo soon after implantation into the uterus. When it leaks into urine, you can then get a positive home pregnancy test. hCG prevents the corpus luteum from disintegrating, since the corpus luteum is what produces progesterone, the hormone that sustains the pregnancy. Early hCG testing in pregnancy can be useful in guessing the viability of the fetus by watching how fast hCG levels multiply, the average being every 48 hours.

On 12 days past ovulation my first hCG levels were 65.

On 17 days past ovulation my second hCG levels were around 550. (I was so excited I did not catch the actual level)

On Monday I will have my first ultrasound to see if they can see a heartbeat yet, I will be 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I think the chances of seeing more than a gestational sac and a yolk sac are pretty slim. I am about 95% sure we will not see a heartbeat at all.

No comments: