Apr 5, 2007

Bullying again

There are times when stuff happens in my personal life that I hesitate to share on my blog, and this is one of them. I mentioned on my other blog, how back in August Austin was being bullied, and then again briefly mentioned it here. One of the main reasons why I try not to mention this stuff is because there is another child involved, and I have found that bullies are often a by-product of a troubled child in a troubled him. I don't believe that my "badmouthing" the bully will change the situation.

With that all said, Austin was hurt at school again yesterday. On the walk home the bully from the last incident tried to take his backpack from him and throw it in the creek, Austin resisted because his house key is in the backpack and he did not want to lose it. The bully tried to take it by force and ripped the backpack and shoved Austin to the ground. Austin was very upset, and tried to hide the incident, but my friend who was here watching Matthew got him to talk about it.

Skip to today, I called the school to talk to the Principal who was unavailable so I talked to the counselor who talked to the parents of all involved, the main bully showed no remorse, his parents did not seem upset at his behavior. All children involved got suspended for two days, and after Bobby talked to the counselor we decided not to press charges against the child.

So anyways, this is the short version of the story, everyone in the family is on edge/stressed but we will get this taken care of and I am confident this issue will stop.

3 comments:

Loretta said...

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this :(

Poor Austin. I know he must feel awful inside about the whole mess. Most bullies these days are emotional/verbal bullies it seems.

You're nicer than me, I probably would have pressed charges since the kids parents didn't seem to be very upset.

SumnerRain said...

We seriously thought about it, but in the end we decided not to. We worried that getting the police involved may make the bullying worse, and I cannot trust the parents to "live and learn".

Tam said...

That sucks! How horrible to have to deal with that. We recently went through the same thing with my daughter at her school. And your right, a lot of parents don't seem to care these days! Good luck =)